For those who live in a country where it snows for most of the year, you might be familiar with the snow throwers. And if not then we provide you with all the information about -what is a snow thrower? They come as a blessing during the winter season. You can remove snow, however light or thick it may be, from anywhere- be it your patio, porch, driveway, walkway, etc.
Snow Thrower vs. Snow Blower
People also often get confused between a snow thrower and snow blower as these words are used interchangeably. But both of them are different. So, let’s see- what is snow blower?
- A snow thrower is a machine which involves a single stage to remove the snow. By single stage, it means that a snow thrower picks up the snow and throws it out of the chute in a single motion.
- A snow blower is a two-stage machine in which the auger first scoops the snow (the first stage, feeds it to the impeller which then blows it out of the chute.
- Snow throwers are smaller and cheaper than snow blowers.
- Go for a snow thrower if you have a small area from where you need to remove the snow and there’s light snowfall of up to 8 inches. Otherwise, for larger areas with heavy snowfall of 19 inches and more, buy a two or three-stage snow blower.
Types of Snow Throwers and Blowers
Nowadays, many types of snow throwers and blowers are available in the market. It has become important to know about them so that you know which one suits your needs and budget.
Electric Snow Thrower
- Corded: This single stage snow thrower has a power cord. They start with the push of a button and are lighter, more compact and needs less maintenance than gas models.
- Cordless: Unlike, the corded ones, they don’t have a cord. They are lighter, low maintenance, smaller and also start with a push button.
Gas Snow Thrower/Blower
- One stage: They have high mobility as they don’t have any cord. They can clear a wider area and thick snow.
- Two-stage: They are used to handle snow more than 8 inches in wider areas as they are powerful machines and can be effectively used in uneven terrains. They work faster and clear the snow in less time and effort than the one stage
- Three-stage: They are the fastest and most powerful which takes very less time to remove the snow.
Top 5 Snow Thrower Brands in the Market
Many brands are coming up with snow throwers and blowers. We have come up with the top 5 brands available in the market.
- Toro 38381: It is the most powerful and efficient electric snow thrower in the market which works at an incredibly fast pace. It moves up to 700 pounds of snow per minute and runs on 15 amps power. It can clear up to 18 inches in width and 12 inches of height in one pass.
- Ariens 921046 Deluxe: It can handle a large workload. It is self-propelled and comes with different operational speeds and features with 6 different forward speeds and 2 reverse speeds. It cleans a path measuring 21 inches by 28 inches. The snow can be pushed out to areas up to 50 ft away.
- Snow Joe Ultra SJ625E: It can last through even the toughest of weather conditions. It has an electric start and plugs on so there’s no worry of refueling. It clears up to 800 pounds of snow in one minute with a powerful 15 amp motor. It comes with 3 watt LED lights to extend your working hours.
- Husqvarna ST 224: It is a two-stage snow blower that has a 24-inch clearing path powered by a 208cc engine. It has LED headlights with an adjustable handle height.
- Snow Joe Ion18SB: it can cover a driveway shorter than 50 ft in length. It is powered by a lithium battery which provides 50 minutes of run time. It is extremely quiet when in operation. It has a powerful 500-watt brushless motor and can remove 500 pounds of snow per minute. It can clean a path 18 inches in width up to 8 inches deep.
We hope that next time whenever you’re buying, you keep in mind- what is a snow thrower?